Thanks for participating in Want to be an Ally (Or Help One Out?): Straight for Equality in the Workplace. On this page you’ll find a list of materials that correspond to the learning objectives in today’s session.
Want to provide feedback on this session? Still have questions about the content?
Send us an e-mail at [email protected] today.
Download the guides:
Find a PFLAG Chapter or Organization:
Learn More About Straight for Equality Learning Partnerships:
- equality literacy 101: Choosing to have a conversation often starts with being comfortable with terminology. This quick cheat sheet will help get you caught up on the right words to use.
- 10 things you can do as an ally: Looking for ways to go beyond what was covered in the session? This list may offer some good ideas.
- International Laws: Relationships Find out what the laws in places around the globe are when it comes to LGBT rights and equality. From Equaldex.
- International Laws: Workplace Protections Find out what the laws in places around the globe are when it comes to LGBT rights and equality. From Equaldex.
- The Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index: Get the report card for corporate America on LGBTQ-inclusive policies. Released annually by the Human Rights Campaign use this report to learn more about where your company stands when it comes to equality. The results may surprise you. You can also use it to inform your purchases and they even have a smartphone ap to help you make choices on the go.
A Workplace Divided: Understanding the Climate for LGBTQ Workers Nationwide: A Workplace Divided surveyed over 800 LGBTQ and non-LGBTQ workers and complements HRC’s history of work, the Corporate Equality Index, and on systems-level change with major private sector employers
Accelerating Acceptance 2018: Each year through extensive polling and research, GLAAD looks at the state of America’s hearts and minds when it comes to accepting LGBTQ people.
The Cost of the Closet and the Rewards of Inclusion: The Cost of the Closet surveyed over 800 LGBT workers across the country and included an added survey of non-LGBT workers.
Out in the World. Securing LGBT Rights in the Global Marketplace: Out in the World was released by the Center for Talent Innovation in January 2016 and analyzes some of the most significant challenges that multinational corporations face in the global marketplace when corporate policy conflicts with anti-LGBT laws in the countries where they do business.
- Degrees of Equality: Originally conducted to assess the gap between policy change and culture change, this is an extensive assessment of workplace climate. Released in 2009, the Human Rights Campaign worked with Lake Research Partners to conduct focus groups, in depth interviews, and a nationally based survey to collect data. It details the successes and failures of policy change and investigates the actual environments in which LGBT people work in each day.
- The Power of OUT: There is a fee to access this study, conducted by the Center for Work-Life Policy. It has information about the talent recruitment and retention issues that arise in uninclusive workplaces. It also includes information about innovative programs designed to change workplace culture so LGBT employees feel welcome and free to bring their full selves to work.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit: Pride & Prejudice In early 2018, The Economist Intelligence Unit conducted a global survey of executives, asking them about their attitudes toward LGBT advocacy by companies.
- EU LGBT survey – European Union lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender survey This report presents select findings from our 2019 survey on LGBTI people in the EU and North Macedonia and Serbia. With almost 140,000 participants, it is the largest survey of its kind. It follows the agency’s first survey on LGBT people in the EU, conducted in 2012.
- Straight for Equality Workplace resources: Still need more? Check out our full workplace resource area for even more details on workplace issues, external resources, other learning opportunities, and advanced tools.