Be Kind, Not Just Nice: Transforming Your Conversations
We all know the phrase, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” But what do we do when others don’t follow that rule and say things and act in ways that are unkind? What about when that lack of kindness impacts people and communities we care about, including our LGBTQ+ loved ones? What do we do when being kind means speaking up and not being so nice? Join the PFLAG National team to learn some of the skills you need to transform your conversations and stand by what you believe in without becoming unkind yourself.Intermediate Let's Talk
90 minutes (in-person or hybrid), 60 minutes (online)
Audiences who have gone through PFLAG’s “Be Kind, Rewind: Recognizing Your Role in Building Inclusion” workshop
Download a one page PDF that includes information about this learning session.
Staying kind in the face of bias, bad faith arguments, and conflict is extremely difficult (for all of us). Leveraging PFLAG’s 50 years of experience as the nation’s original ally organization, this session will:
- Review the strategies from “Be Kind, Rewind: Recognizing Your Role in Building Inclusion” to help us stay mindful and kind when conflict arises
- Discuss new strategies and consider various scenarios to develop the skills we need to deal with unkindness without becoming unkind ourselves
- Identify methods to determine when something is being said or someone is asking questions about LGBTQ+ equality in good faith or bad faith;
- Frame our strategies to be used across different platforms and in different communities
- Get resources to help inform your kindness strategies into the future.
This session is not exclusively focused on LGBTQ+ identities.
PFLAG is a non-partisan, 501(c)3 organization.